20 March, 2010

Musings of the morning

I couldn't help but take note of a couple things this morning.

Fred has been waking at 5AM for the past couple of months.  The time change looked like it might be a glimmer of  hope, allowing us to see 6 on the clock instead of 5.  It was.  For three days.  Sigh.  Today, he gave me until 6:10AM!  He still accepted my instructions to turn on his light and play with his cars and trains in his room.  It's nice that he'll do this, although with his room next to ours, and with him being three, "quiet" is a relative term.  Still, it's so much fun to listen to him use different voices for his cars as they vroom, go over bridges, and race against each other as they have different adventures in his room.  It is kind of fun, at the right hour.

This morning I decided to get up about 6:30 and quietly get my coffee so I could have some Mommy time before the morning's madness begins.  The weather this week has been balmy, even by Chicago standards, with temperatures between the mid 50's and upper 60's.  We've played outside, gotten out the kids' bikes, and drawn with chalk on the driveway.  The kids have loved seeing the birds and hearing their chirps and calls.  It's nice to wake up and hear their familiar melodies and know that their appearance is a true sign that spring is near.

So as I rose from my bed, I noticed the roof on the next door neighbor's house appeared white.  Hm, the forecast did say rain, sleet, and possible snow by tomorrow, but I did not expect to wake up to a winter wonderland today!!   

As I type, there is wind howling, snow falling, and it looks more like December outside than March, let alone the first day of spring!

So, welcome spring time.  Happy first day of spring.  Today I'm listening to the sounds of my son and his cars and trains rather than the birds in the trees.  I hear the sound of snow and sleet pelting the windows, rather than people outside enjoying a morning walk or tending their gardens and catching up on the weeks' happenings.  I guess it's not so bad, though.  March Madness is here, and we have games to watch and teams to cheer for.  We have closets to clean, rooms to organize, and spring cleaning to do.

I guess being inside this weekend won't be so bad after all.  Perhaps this is Mother Nature's warning to us to finish our business inside so that we can enjoy her magic outside when the time finally comes.

Welcome, spring.

1 comment:

  1. That's just insane that you guys are still having snow!!!

    ReplyDelete