19 April, 2010

Me time, week 13

I'm getting lazy in reporting on my time spent on myself, aren't I?  Perhaps that's a sign that I'm healing from the inside and enjoying what life has brought my way.  OK, that was a deep stretch, but, I tried to make it sound good.

I'm trying to catch up on DVR'd shows (I actually typed the word "taped", but realized there's nothing taped about it any more), and realized I needed to post up.  I have to say that I don't understand why Kate is still on this show pretending to dance.  This chick needs to take her hair extensions and get a new reality job somewhere.  Ugh, she drives me crazy.

I digress.

Had a very nice Sunday, which was preceded by a fun, but, unproductive weekend.  Began Friday night by going out.  We have worked out a deal with another couple to swap babysitting with each other.  The key is that we don't pay each other!  Seriously, every parent should get in on a gig like this.  By switching off and helping each other out, we're each getting more time out than we would otherwise if we had to pay a sitter.  I am so insanely glad we are doing this!!

This was supposed to be an arrangement we'd take each other up on once every month of the year, and this was the first time either of us asked the other to watch our kids.  I broke the ice last week when we got invited to a friend's place.  Honestly, this is the best arrangement we could have made, and I'm sorry I waited 'til April to ask them to help!  They came over after work (Mommy L, Daddy L, L1, and L2) and we all played and talked together, while I showed Mommy L around the house and ran down the bed time routine.  Daddy and I left the house as Daddy L started the kids off on a game of Hide n Seek.  It was a great feeling knowing the kids were having a good time and a friend, mom, and familiar face was staying with the kids.  Daddy L took L1 and L2 home at bed time, and it was the perfect arrangement for all of us.

Until Saturday morning.  While it was nice to get out of the house for a while and not worry about dollar signs piling up at the stroke of every hour, there was no legit reason for us to stay out until 1AM!!!!  Holy hell!  The evening started out nicely with several coworkers, who also happen to be on the same intercompany softball team, all gathered together to enjoy good food, drink, and company.  The wine glasses were big, the appetizers were delicious, and we were all laughing together within minutes.  Did I mention that the wine glasses were big?  They were.  As one of the others said, the only quote from the night that I remember is, "I'd like another glass of wine".  Oh my. 

We started out with some game called Left, Right, Center, and moved on to Catch Phrase.  Well, not back to back, there was plenty of conversation, appetizer eating, and who knows what in between.  I say "who knows what" because I'm sure someone knows, but I am not that someone.  See, the wine glasses were really big.  Oh, I said that already.  Well, I filled mine at least three times.  I'll leave it at that.  There was a moment when one of us ended up being tossed over the back of a couch, WWE style, there were plenty of f-bombs dropping around the room, and the hockey game interrupted us every so often.  Not that I know any of that for fact.  And we didn't leave until 1AM.  1AM, I kid you not.

It was as if we didn't remember we had kids who would be waking before the birds demanding food and other nourishment and to be entertained.  Loudly.  Energetically.  Early.  Very early.  Like 6AM early.  Good Lord.

Let's just say that I did not get much done on Saturday.  I could barely get down a cup of coffee.  There, I said it.  It's been a very long time since I was unable to get down my morning jo.  Holy hell. 

It was almost noon before I could even consider getting anything done.  Saturday was supposed to be the day I shopped for a dress to wear to the Kentucky Oaks.  Yes, I am going.  Again. 

I went to college in Kentucky and met some of the most wonderful people there.  I have been going to the Kentucky Derby almost every year (missed 3) since 1995.  This is the first year that we will be sitting somewhere other than in the infield.  Seriously.  This is all foreign to us. 

I did end up getting myself into the car and took my neighbor with me to a local resale shop in hopes of finding a dress that wouldn't break the budget.  The planets were all aligned, because not only did I find a dress, I found the perfect dress!!  I can't show you until the whole thing is put together, but here are some clues.
1) Pale pink
2) Seersucker
3) I don't have a clue #3, sorry.

The last piece to the puzzle will be a hat, and I have a little time to get that done.  I did find a great hat at a store today, but, and toying with the idea of crafting one of my own.  Nothing like a homemade Derby hat!! 

I had been invited to go out with friends Saturday night for a night of karoke.  I was really looking forward to it originally.  After staying out 'til 1AM, feeling like I might lose lunch all day, and being so tired I could hardly form a sentence, there was little chance I was going to make it.  And I didn't. 

At dinner, Daddy dropped the big reminder on me that the next day, Sunday, was his company's day at Great America (GA), our local Six Flags.  Oh my.  Dude, I'm hungover, exhausted, and you want me to spend the day in an amusement park filled with roller coasters?!  Right.  Oh, and you want to take the kids!?  Sure.

With this in mind, I finally decided to stay in for the night and miss karoke.  I can do that next time they all get together.  I needed one thing, sleep!  So I grilled ribs for dinner, got the kids in bed, then got myself in bed.

I didn't start my Sunday at Panera this week.  No worries, I spent the day with my family.  Walking.  A lot.  We started out by taking the kids to a nice, rare, breakfast out.  They were so excited to get to eat at IHOP, you would have thought they'd won the Lottery.  Following breakfast, we spent the day at GA.  The weather was alright, just kind of windy and chilly, but better than last year when it was pouring rain all day.  I'll take a little chilly over rain any day.

I would not pay to go to GA, especially not with little kids.  Pricey, crowded, and just not fun with little whiny munchkins.  This day, though, was thanks to Daddy's work, and well worth our time and effort.  They have added a Wiggles themed area complete with a small stage show featuring a couple of characters from the popular show.  This turned out to be the most popular part with both Fred and Ethel, and I'm so glad for that.  We were able to spend most of the day in the Wiggles area, aside from our trek to the picnic area for lunch, and the kids had a total blast.  Fred was afraid of the Big Red Plane ride at first, but once he got the guts, he announced to me, "I'm not scared, Mommy".  He flew that plane like a pro.  Ethel had a great time riding in The Big Red Car with Daddy behind me and Fred, and we all had fun on the carousel before we left the park.

As expected, they slept in the car on the way home, and that was the extent of naps for the day.  We got home an they each spent a little time in their rooms playing on their own before we had some dinner, followed by bath time.  Bed time Sunday night was early, and everyone (well, the kids) was asleep by 7:30 PM.  It was really nice.

It was nice to have a day free of spring cleaning, food shopping, and other things that have taken up our last few weekends.  My liver is not the only part of my body crying u.n.c.l.e, though, as now my feet and one arthritic knee are waving the white flag.  It won't be long before my body turns French and goes on strike.

Now it's late and I need to get to bed.  I'm sure none of this has made sense, as I think I killed plenty of brain cells off during the weekend.  Hopefully they'll return.

I will post an update once I figure out my hat situation for the Oaks.  I am really excited to be going back, seeing my friends, and actually sitting in the bleachers.  OK, they're not grandstand seats, but, man, this is going to be a total blast.  I'll see a whole new part of Churchill Downs after all these years.  Very cool.

I'd better get myself to bed.

That's all for now.

4 comments:

  1. OOoooh! Duh....the Oaks...NOW I know what you're talking about, lol! Like horseracing, huh? If I hadn't have watched that Undercover Boss recently about the guy in charge there, I wouldn't have even recognized the name Churchill Downs... That's so cool! Hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Robin, you'd love it at the Downs! I haven't seen Undercover Boss, but I have heard so much about it I feel like I'm really missing something now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great babysitting arrangement! I toy with the idea of finding something like that but don't even know where to start in my area. Otherwise, it isn't much fun to go out with one eye on the clock and your mind calculating the b-sitting tab.
    Can't wait for the photos from the Derby weekend! Did you find a hat? Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're eventually able to find someone close to you that you could trade sitting with. It's such a life saver! We're not next door, but are always around if you ever would like a night out, honestly.
    I am leaning toward crafting a hat of my own. Hats aren't as plentiful up here as in Louisville or parts nearby, but, I'm going to see what I can do! I'll definitely post pictures!!

    ReplyDelete