30 April, 2010

In Louisville, it's Derby time!

For the first time ever, I'll enter Churchill Downs dressed in more than shorts and a t-shirt.  We actually have bleacher seats this year and are dressing up.  This is a picture of the hat I crafted yesterday for the event. 

We're going today to the Kentucky Oaks.  It's lilies for the fillies today, and the day has been named Ladies First.  To raise awareness for breast cancer research, everyone is asked to wear pink today, and so I chose pale pink heels, and pink lilies for my hat.

Pictures of the final ensemble will follow later, but, I needed to put up this pic of the hat to start things off. 

Derby weekend is unlike any other time in any other place.  Louisville is full of electricity, history, and magic this weekend every year.  Derby should be on everyone's bucket list, for sure.

Stay tuned for more pictures and stories.

That's all for now.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to hear the details and see your ensemble. I've always watched the race on television. I thought that was as close as I would get. Now I get to experience it through your blog. I'm sure that I'll enjoy your coverage more than NBC's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going to the Kentucky Derby/Oaks. We have not gone lately but my husband and I used to go every year. We started out going to the in-field as well... party! But then it turned into the Oaks only with a Saturday Derby party at friend's house. Now those friends have moved overseas so the gathering kinda fell apart. One day we will get back down there again! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete