25 February, 2010

Tea Party Time

When Ethel turned four, I told her that she would no longer be required to spend two hours of the day being reminded by Mommy to stay on her bed, lay down, be quieter, or otherwise restricted in such a way.  One of my gifts to her on her fourth birthday was to make what used to be rest time {a.k.a. nap time} into quiet time.

See, Mommy needs a break, too.  I figured as long as she stayed in her room for at least as long as Fred was asleep, it would suit us both just fine, and I was right.  I can even say that every couple of months, I enter her room to find her curled up somewhere in her room sound asleep.  We both love quiet time.

During her quiet time, Ethel plays with just about everything in her room.  I.mean.everything.  This has proven for some challenging clean up times, but oh the party she has during that beloved quiet time. Today it was a tea party.
Some party guests
As any good hostess would, she provided her guests with a beautifully draped tablescape, complete with Princess, pink table cloth (ie: blankie), and amphibious corner decorations (note the frogs, turtle, and lizard at the corners). 
Would you like some tea?
She was so proud of this tea party.  She came tearing out of her room and sweetly asked me if I'd come and see what she'd made.  Quickly, she showed me "this is where I sit", and looked to me as little girls do to their moms, hoping I wouldn't be upset with her for making a mess, using a blanket over a box, or something silly like that.  I couldn't help but smile and beam at how wonderful this tea party looked.  She gave me permission to photograph the event, and posed for a picture.
She poured her guests each some tea, explaining to me who each of them was, making note that she had misplaced the large blue plate, "...but that's OK, I'll find it later", again looking to me for approval.  We smiled at each other and I took in those beautiful blue eyes, filled with innocence and imagination and pride.  I remember having tea parties with my animals and dolls.

I left her to her party, and she talked and played and enjoyed her tea with her guests.  Not long later, I could tell the party was over, and she'd gone into the bathroom to get a drink of water for herself.  The animals had all been excused from the table.  I went in her room to make sure everything was OK.

I am rather glad I didn't stay for the party, in case this would be my fate, too...

"This is where the animals live"

I have to add...today is one of those days I mentioned..


1 comment:

  1. Aaawwwww!!!!! I love putting my preschooler in 'quiet time!' In the beginning, he did the same (played and napped) but now, he tends to just play during that time (and hopefully the room isn't totally messed up before it's time to come out!) She looked precious with her tea party - and even moreso napping!

    ReplyDelete