07 January, 2011

Becoming a runner, 11 and 20 Sept

11 Sept
With Daddy out of town this weekend, I wasn't sure if I'd get out for my morning run. Well, I did!

My Garmin calculated the distance of my route at 3.85 miles. I did the 3/4 mile path 2x non-stop at a pretty good clip. In order to add distance to my route and work up toward a 10K, I'll weave differently through the neighborhood, or go past my house and wind back. We'll see. And next week, I am going to use the heart rate monitor on the Garmin.

I am really interested in starting a Girls On The Run location near me, but, the coaches have to be there for each practice and they happen right after school for an hour. Working won't allow me to do that. Craptastic. Will have to see what I can figure out. Apps for spring are due by Sept 30th, and they don't add new locations in fall, so I'll have to wait a whole year if I can't do it this year. That's OK, it gives me more time to devise a plan.

20 Sept
Wow, one week made a huge difference, but not a good one. Well, that's not exactly true. Let me preface this by saying, I must remember to go to the bathroom before I run, even if I don't feel the need at the time. That was one thing. Another thing was that my pace was much slower this week and I'm not entirely sure why.

I tried to focus a bit on my gait and stride, but not the whole time. Still, I think it did take my attention away from my pace and speed. That's OK, though. I need to remember, that's OK. I need to have good technique to improve, and I have to remember that. My competitive side is coming out like nobody's business, it's so strange.

Anyway, my pace was pretty steady the whole run, which is an improvement over the past. I didn't start quicker and slow down, nor the opposite. That was a very good thing. Now if I can do it steadily and faster, I'll be very happy!

I bought an arm band for my iPod Touch, and it was nice not having to hold it. A little odd feeling, but, overall a good one.

I ran the first 2.75 miles straight before feeling the need to slow/walk because I had to go to the bathroom. I knew that I needed to slow my body down before it was too late. I did make it all the way home, but I had to regain control of my body first. Not more than 1/4 mile, and I ran the entire rest of the way home. Not too bad.

So, for the first time that I've run that little of the 3.85 miles, my total time was 37 minutes and change. I was disappointed in the time, but when I saw that my pace was pretty even the whole time, it made me feel better.

My feet were fine the whole time, the bra isn't rubbing any more, and I'm getting used to where the new shorts ride on me when I'm running. The Garmin is, as always, amazing and cool.

Next 5k is October 2nd, and I am thinking of a Halloween one, too. Thought about a 10K in November, but will see how the October race goes before picking a race.

No comments:

Post a Comment