10 January, 2011

Kindergarten Chronicles, 8 September

Well, last night was a downer for me. Ethel brought home her homework. They get homework that has to be returned each Friday. The teacher sent home a note with what should be done each evening, or at least completed by Friday. Last night was to draw a picture of someone talking on the phone, and write their phone number. Oh, and write their name at the top of the page.

Wouldn't you know it, Ethelzx threw a fit over writing her name. She sat in her chair, inching toward me as she swung her leg as if to kick me, and when that didn't work she swung her arm at me as if to hit me, inching closer to me until she did hit me.

Now, we've been in bed at 7:30 each night (her bewitching hour), she gets a snack after we get home from day care, or after school on my stay home days. I let her play with her brother when she gets home. I have to make dinner when we get home so doing homework after we get home from day care is not truly an option. We started last night after dinner. Everyone was fed, everyone was calm, rested, seemingly happy. I talked about what Mrs. P wanted and what the homework was about, and we talked about our phone number. She was looking forward to drawing the picture and writing her number. Until I put the paper in front of her.

This is exactly what I feared. She and I fought, I sent her to her room, and threatened her with sending the homework back incomplete b/c of her attitude. That was enough to get her to stay in her room, after three minutes of her literally running into me and bouncing off me repeatedly while I blocked the doorway (her door doesn't latch).

OK, who battles like this over drawing a fucking picture and writing their name? It's not over inability, she does these things all the time! When she finally drew the picture, it was awesome, and she wrote the numbers perfectly.

So, day one of homework and we've already had a battle royale. I'm just so "thrilled" to have the rest of her school career with her and her homework. NOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment