05 January, 2011

Becoming a runner, race #2

In 2010 I revived my love of running.  Beginning in July, I started a new routine of weekly runs, and have made investments to aid my progress.  I will start to add posts about this journey, one or two a day, until I'm caught up to current.  Enjoy.

22 August
I did my first 5K in years this July 4th, and decided to keep doing them. Despite how crazy I thought a friend was when they told me that they were doing a 5K each month, that's the track I'm on. I love it! Next year I'd like to try for a 10K.

So yesterday I did this one on the lakefront and it was awesome. It was hella humid, and the fog coming off the lake was kind of Phantom of the Opera, but, very pretty. I wasn't nervous 'til we got to the start line and I realized I was way up front for the start. I had just added a Black Eyed Peas song to my iPod Touch that I run with, and holy crap - between adrenaline and the Peas, I started out like a bat out of hell! LOL

Felt good the whole way. I need new shoes, though, b/c right around the 2.5 mile mark is when the ball of my foot (either foot) goes numb then hurts. I walked a bit at that point, but, not more than a few yards. Finished in pretty good time, too! I have a personal best in a 3.5 miler of 29 minutes and change (of course, before kids, but still). So I know I can do a 5K in less than that, and that's what I'm working toward. I just found my posted results from yesterday. It's my first race I've done with chip timing, and I have to say I love it. I estimated that I was doing 10 minute miles, and that's about right. I came in 4th in my age bracket (35-39), which I was totally surprised to see!
My next one is at a local festival Labor Day weekend. I am going to try and go get new shoes today, and yesterday I gave into impulse and ordered a Garmin Forerunner 305. I've seen it in action, and heard great things about it, and I couldn't resist. Now for shoes, new shorts, and a decent sports bra to replace my current one which is older than dirt.

After this next one, there's a couple in October I'm looking at, and then I'll pick a turkey trot, and after that I may do one in early December. I've never run like this in winter, so I'm anxious to see how it goes.

I'm glad I'm running again, it feels great. Now I have to work on going out more than once a week and keeping up with it in foul weather. Will find a track soon where I can use the indoor track for free, and see how that goes. I don't like track running, but it's better than not running at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment