11 January, 2011

PTO Chronicles, 14 December

This is the PTO pres' first year as pres. It's the principal's first year at our school. OK.
At the October meeting, I offered to create a membership survey to give out at parent/teacher conferences (or whatever PC term they use for that). At the November meeting, two weeks before conferences, I was unable to attend but my neighbor said that they mentioned it, and status was - "still reviewing the form sent in by Mama Murtz". WTF? How long does it take to look at a Word document? I came to tonight's meeting prepared. Principal was there for the whole meeting (sweet!). At the "does anyone have questions or anything to talk about" point in the meeting, I asked about the form. "We haven't revisited that, but it's on our list". I said, "OK, well, I made copies to share tonight, why don't I pass it out?". OMG, you should have seen the looks on their faces. I told them I was happy to edit it, happy to do whatever to it, happy to e-mail it to the principal if that's what it needed, etc. They all loved it. Then, the secretary says, "We do have a form like this which we're working on and planning on rolling out.....it needs to be updated and the proper approvals...", to which I replied "What kind of approvals does it need?". She said, "Well, The Principal hasn't seen it yet", so I handed it to him!! OMG, he smiled so big, it was hysterical.

So, the conversation started about getting in front of the parents, getting the word out about the PTO, etc. Someone mentioned that the Jr. High has a position having to do with PR, and they all looked right at me and said, "There you go, you can do PR!" {insert social laughter here}. I later learned that when that was said, the pres whispered to the treasurer, "Wait 'til next year". OMG!!

These women appear to have zero interest in lighting the fire. One of E's classmate's moms walked out with me after the meeting and we chatted in the parking lot for a few. She is as shocked as I am about the lack of "umph" behind this PTO. I "get" that they were squelched before, but they have an influx of new blood, new administration, and interested parents!! They aren't taking the bait!

I am going to attend the school board meeting in January, and the next PTO meeting. The mom I walked out with was so flabbergasted, she said, "You're such a go-getter and they are just sitting there". I really am astounded at how little they are willing to jump on something.

I don't want to step on toes or anything, and I'm not the president or on the board, but we threw around ideas like confetti, and I mentioned that by the next meeting something should be decided on as to what kind of flyer or communication would go out to parents in the month of January. They weren't quite sure what to make of that. Really? OMG.

I am so frustrated, but, still inspired. There is so much good going on at that school right now. The principal outlined the progress they're making in the increasing test scores, and again stated the importance of his academic focus for the year. I really want him to succeed because I know he can bring the school to the level it should be at. Seriously, I know the school can do and be so much more than it is, they just need a cheerleader who will lead them to that point. Our PTO won't be getting them there with the attitude they have right now, that's for sure.

I'm glad I went tonight. Glad I spoke up. Glad I brought copies of the form I sent to them to look at in October!

No comments:

Post a Comment