10 January, 2011

Kindergarten Chronicles, 24 September

A quick report of this week.

Night before last, Ethel came in our room about 3/3:15AM. Not entirely unusual. I plopped her between us and tried to fall asleep. I kept feeling a tiny little tap, tap, tap, on my forearm. I ignored it b/c I didn't want to get to talking with Ethel. Finally she said, "Mommy, guess what. I got a 100% today at school.". It was so sweet and she was so sincere and proud. Of course, at 3-something AM, I could have waited to hear this, but, I kissed her tiny forehead and told her how wonderful that is, and we could share more about it when we sat down for breakfast.

So, yesterday at bed time she decided to tell me that some of the kids in her class hit the books. They just pick them up and hit them. Odd. Anyway, we've always stressed that books are very important, we don't stand on them, tear them, mistreat them in any way. She takes this very seriously. She seemed pretty upset about what the kids do to the books as she told me this. Somehow, the conversation drifted to the way the kids have to walk in the hallway when they go from room to room, etc. She, very adorably, put one finger over her lips (like a "sshhh"), and one hand on her hip, telling me they walk in a line doing "Hips and Lips". OMG, it was so cute.

Bit by bit she's opening up the window to her daily life at school, and even at 3-something AM, I'm very glad she's doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment