05 January, 2011

Kindergarten Chronicles

Monday, Tuesday, 30 & 31 August

Day 3 was a good one. Ethel left 1/2 her sandwhich and didn't eat her yogurt. I figured she just didn't eat it, or they are so busy chatting during lunch, they just don't eat. Ethel told me, though, she didn't have enough time to eat all her lunch, and then she couldn't find her spoon for her yogurt. She'd forgotten where Daddy showed her to find it in the front pocket of her lunch bag. Poor kid. Between the excitement of being in the cafeteria and talking to friends, and eating in this cool place, the time is limited. So, today she chose a sammie, one string cheese (instead of 2), and a "dessert" (one of the 100 calorie packs of Cheez-Its). She was totally exhausted last night and we had a mini-meltdown, but, bed time was awesome. She and I played with Legos for a while and she added smatterings of her day while we talked. She talked about a kid who was poking her in the afternoon, resulting in him getting a "yellow", which is apparently part of Mrs. P's behaviour code of red, yellow, green. I'm sure you get the idea.

This morning went well. Our first day doing the day care van to school. Two of her day care classmates go to her school, they're in 1st and kindy. I told E to look to them if she had questions about where to go or what to do. Apparently about 8AM she asked a teacher, "Are A and M still coming? I need to know how to get to school.". OMG, so cute. They told her yes, they'd be to day care about 8:30, right before the van left. And they were. Their mom (A & M's mom) told me in e-mail today that M (the kindy) was telling Ethel all about the van and where they'll go when they get dropped off and where they'll go when school is out, she said it was really cute.

I remembered late in the morning that I hadn't filled her food account, so I'm hoping she whipped out the $0.30 in her lunch bag for her milk today. Otherwise, she'll roll with the punches today and then let it out on me tonight, which is fine. Mommy needs to get on the ball there. :)

I can't wait to get the kids tonight. Potty boot camp day 2 for Fred, and E's first day riding the day care bus to school. Woo hoo.

{later that evening...}

Transition going rougher than earlier thought.

Day 4
Came home with seemingly happy child, until...I don't know...the wind blowed? The minute hand swept? I looked at her? Then, suddenly, all hell broke loose. Ended up with a grounded little girl who must go right to her room for the next two nights, and must return to her room after dinner. Not sure where the defiance, "NO!", and slapping Mommy came from tonight, but, I'm nipping it all in the bud. I have tried my best to spend time with her, talking about her day without pestering her (because I know she's spent), and trying to have a calm evening after school while she gets used to the whole deal. I know it will be a big adjustment, but I didn't expect to have this kind of thing going on.

Tomorrow is another day. And it's Mac & Cheese night. Hope it all goes down a lot better than it did tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes--I know the feeling when they turn on you and it's not a good one. Tonight, H told me to "leave me alone" twice. Must be the whole mom loving and caring for them their entire lives, 24/7 like no one else in the whole world that makes them feel so crabby. Hopefully Ethel is like H and forgets all about it by morning!

    ReplyDelete